Monday, July 03, 2006

World Cup in Germany and I'm not there

Being German, I couldn't avoid growing up with soccer. Although, I'm not the biggest fan - and unlike most boys I actually only played for a short time - big soccer events are always fun. I remember sitting in front of the TV an being captivated by the excitement of the matches.

Especially great were the parties on the streets when Germany won against a tough opponent. I remember how the streets with the most bars in my home town were packed with celebrating and happy (and drunk) people after Germany won the World Cup in 1990 and the European Championship in 1996.

And now that the World Cup is hosted in Germany, I am in the U.S. and only able to see the excitement in other parts of the world on TV. Today, Germany is playing Italy in the semi finals. My guess: 2:1 for us. If we in fact win this one, I'll have something else to celebrate on this 4th of July. Unfortunately, I will be pretty much on my own on the streets in Palo Alto.

No comments: