Friday, November 19, 2004

My First Entry

Seeing so many Googlers walking around the Googleplex in Mountain View, CA with a blogger t-shirt, which was, as so many Google t-shirts, provided for free by the company, I had to start a blog of my own.

There are a lot of things unique with Google as a workplace and the free t-shirts are only one small piece of that. There is a closet in one of the buildings at Google's headquarters that gets filled with different kinds of Google t-shirts and sometimes other promotional items about twice per week. To make it easier for employees to see when new t-shirts arrive, a web cam is set up to monitor that closet.

Another great thing is obviously the free food. Food bins with a wide variety of snacks, including some very fancy ones, are located on each floor in each building. The free daily lunches and dinners are prepared by a team headed by chef Charlie, who formerly prepared food for the band members of The Grateful Dead and for George Clinton.

Other unique experiences of my short time at Google include a visit from former U.S. president Jimmy Carter, the excitement around the IPO which made many of the Googlers that I interact with pretty rich (and I'm not even allowed to own any stocks of the company), and the smart and interesting employees in general.

My project at Google for this year is almost over but I will look forward for more time at this exciting place in 2005.

No comments: